Monday, February 23, 2009

Interview Transcription: California Budget Cuts 2-23-09

For my interview, I decided to interview my dad over the phone. My dad is fifty-one and he is a very hard working man who lives in San Francisco. He works for the company of PG&E and he has done so for over 25 years now. He is very honest and loyal man.

Sarah: So, what are your views on the California State Budget cuts?

Peter: Well, first of all I should say, I do not know all of the details. But I do know, is that we all need to cut back as a nation. We need to cut back with both the state and the federal.
I personally believe that we are not cutting back in the right areas.

Sarah: Why do you say that?

Peter: Well, first of all I believe that our students should not be suffering. I believe that there is another place that we could be getting the money from. Our students should not be suffering. Students will be making the future, so honestly why are we making them suffer?

Sarah: I completely agree with you on that one.

Peter: I honestly hope that the law makers are making the right decision. I do not know the choices that they have in front of them, so maybe cutting from education is the best thing that they have right now. Maybe other things can be cut but they just don’t see it right now.

Peter: You bringing up this topic make me think of Gray Davis. One of the reasons he was fired aside from the energy crisis is because he wanted to raise the car tax. It basically says that you have to pay more money when you buy a car. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger fought against that though.
This topic also reminds me of when they wanted to make the gasoline tax even higher than it is now. The governor also fought against that too. I felt that was a great decision too. Gasoline in California is already in highest in California, why would we want to make it any higher. So many people are struggling.
The main thing that we have to think about is the small businesses. While the economy is down, this is the hardest time for them to stay afloat. By raising the taxes on gasoline that would just make things worse for them. Most businesses use cars to make things easier. Just think about the PG&E tree trimmers, pizza delivery men, UPS trucks and much more. Once the gas goes up it makes it harder for businesses to say alive.

Sarah: Yeah, I agree completely. Once one price goes up all of the prices go up. By doing this it just makes things worse for everyone. Businesses need lower fees in order to survive, and life needs businesses to survive.

Sarah: Thank you so much for letting me interview you; you told me a lot of things that I wouldn’t have thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment